Posts tagged Tradesman
Housing minister Mark Prisk has announced a £1 billion investment package to improve council homes across England that will provide work for thousands of tradesmen.
The new funding could bring over 86,000 homes up to a decent standard, paving the way for new trade jobs in the building construction industry.
It is the latest round of funding under the Decent Homes Programme which aim is to help councils bring their homes up to a decent standard, from fitting new roofs and windows to updating kitchens or heating systems.
Mr Prisk said that this new construction and skilled work would provide a shot in the arm for thousands of local businesses and tradesmen, supporting the Government’s measures to boost British jobs and the economy.
The Minister said that spending money earlier would help boost local employment as early as possible, as well as delivering home improvements for tenants ahead of schedule.
Mr Prisk said: “By improving this country’s council homes we will transform many families’ lives for the better, bringing their living standards up to scratch ensuring that their home is the safe haven it is meant to be.
“But the benefits of the £1 billion I’ve confirmed today reach far beyond tenants themselves and into the local economy.
“With every pound spent on improvements boosting local business, creating new jobs and supporting local spending, I want to see councils realising the benefits of this cash as soon as possible.”
What is your reaction to the newly announced £1 billion investment programme set to improve thousands of council homes, boost the trades and create new jobs? Share your thoughts by commenting here or raising your voice on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
BBC News reported today that gas fitter, Andrew Hartley, who had botched the installation of a boiler in Lansdow, Bath, which caused the death of 24-year-old woman, has been jailed for three years over her death.
Andrew Hartley was found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence in Bristol Crown Court yesterday. He admitted breaching gas safe regulations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 by failing to secure the boiler flue pipe with screws.
The tragic death of Zoe Anderson, who was overcame by carbon monoxide in the shower room of her father’s home, was result of a ‘rushed’ and ‘botch’ job, the prosecution in Bristol Crown Court concluded.
Miss Anderson died within 30 minutes of being exposed to the carbon monoxide after fumes leaked from the flue pipe connected to the boiler of the house, The Daily Mail reported.
Detective Inspector (DI) Neil Beament, who led the investigation, said that despite the fact Andrew Hartley was a professional tradesman with the relevant qualification, he carried out sub-standard work which led to the death of 24-year-old Zoe Anderson.
DI Beament said: “The verdict and sentence reflects the severity of his failings and sends a clear message to all tradesmen in relation to the duty of care they owe all their customers.
“The case also highlights the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and I would urge all householders to consider the installation of appropriate devices.”- added Mr Beament.
It is a legal requirement for trade professionals who carry out gas work to be registered on the Gas Safe Register. Gas engineers are re-tested on every five years in order to comply with Health and Safety regulations. They have to provide proof of their technical expertise, including the required qualification and relevant certificate of competence.
In a statement about Mr Hartley’s case the Health and Safety Executive said: “The householder in this case did the right thing – they employed a registered gas engineer who is legally allowed to work on gas appliances.
“However, the engineer failed to apply their competence and expertise, which has led to tragic consequences.
“It is vital that registered gas engineers always apply their knowledge and skills on every gas job they carry out and make sure gas work is left safe for people to use.
“If engineers cut corners they can expect to be held to account for their actions.”
What is your reaction to the tragic incident caused by the poor job of gas fitter Andrew Hartley? Do you think professional standards could be improved in future? How? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below: